Monday, April 21, 2008
Prayer is AMAZING!
It is true. Prayer is Amazing. For those of you that do not know Ava really does have an eye condition. It is called Optic Nerve Hypoplasia or ONH. This is where the Optic nerve is under developed. There is no cure for ONH. However, we have been very blessed because most children with this condition have little to no sight and usually have Growth Hormone Deficiency. We just recently had Ava tested for this and her results came back normal. Ava has amazing vision in her right eye but very little in her left eye. Her new pediatric Ophthalmologist, Dr. Goei, gave us some surprising news. Ava should be just as blind in her right eye as she is in her left, but she is not. We are not sure what the actual vision is as far as numbers goes, but the other day Ava asked me what something was on the floor and it was a very small piece of clear plastic. I had not noticed it all day. Anyway, Dr. Goei's wants us to start patching the right eye or the "good eye" for 2 hours a day. Since Ava's eye has been like this since birth, the brain has noticed that the vision is not as strong and has basically stop the use of the left eye. So with patching, we are hoping it will make the connection between the eye and the brain stronger. We have no idea if this will work or not, because in other cases someone that has ONH as badly as she does should not see at all.
The patching has been a struggle though. Ava will turn 3 in June and is a very active little girl. 2 hours out of her day is a very long time. The 2 hours consists of me sitting right next to her the WHOLE TIME. It is very hard to watch because she hates wearing the patch. We have tried all different types of rewards or activities to do but she still doesn't want to wear it. So that is where prayer comes in. The other night I was at the end of my rope with the whole patching thing because I couldn't stand to force pain upon my child and I could not see any improvements so I went to the Lord. The very next day, I told Ava that we needed to patch in a little bit and she said " I know mom, and I am not even going to fight you on it. I know it will help my eye get better."
Oh the blessings that can come if we just ask for them!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is beautiful! (and that sounds just like something you would say to her "and i'm not even gonna fight you on it" haha) I'm so glad your prayer was answered soo quickly! I hope this patch thing works and her left eye shows some improvement. that is encouraging!
I love the new template and I love all your posts. Sharing testimonies like this online is what I think Elder Ballard was talking about. Thanks for being so inspiring.
Yeah, I tell Ellie I'm not going to fight her on it either. It will work one day.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING THAT FANTASTIC STORY!
Prayer truly is amazing. Thank you for being such a great example to me!
I needed to hear about your experience. Hultz doesn't have the same health issues Ava does... he's just almost 2 and very, very, very energetic. I need to rely more on my Heavenly Father to help me be at my best with Hultz. Your example helps.
I meant to tell you that I love the dress-up picture of you and Josh on the sidebar!
Good work, friend! Hey if that wears out, try a little Veggie Tales 'Jonah'. Maybe she would like to be a pirate and play along with the characters. I have trouble keeping Ryan in diapers at times, I can't imagine something extra. I'll keep you in my prayers!
I love you, thanks
Post a Comment